tax attorneys minneapolis

Non-Deductible Taxes: General Summary

The Internal Revenue Code (IRC) permits individual and business taxpayers to deduct various types of taxes imposed by some tax authorities. However, some types of taxes are not deductible under the IRC.

Here is a brief summary of most common non-deductible taxes:

1. Generally, federal income taxes, including social security and railroad retirement taxes paid by employees, are not deductible either as taxes or as business businesses. This also include one-half of the self-employment tax imposed by the IRC Section 1401;

2. Federal war profits and excess profits taxes;

3. Estate, inheritance, legacy, succession, and gift taxes;

4. Income, war profits and excess profits taxes imposed by a foreign government (or even a U.S. possession) if the taxpayer decides to take a foreign tax credit for these taxes;

5. Taxes on real property that must be treated as imposed on another taxpayer because of the apportionment between buyer and seller;

6. Certain fees and taxes under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (P.L. 111-148). For example, annual fee imposed on drug manufacturers and importers for U.S. branded prescription drug sales after 2010; the 2.3 percent excise tax imposed on manufacturers, producers and importers of certain medical devices after 2012; and the annual fee imposed on certain health insurance providers after 2013 are all non-deductible taxes; and

7. Certain other taxes, such as certain additions to taxes imposed on public charities, private foundations, qualified pension plans, REITs (real estate investment trusts), stock compensation of insiders in expatriated corporations, golden parachute payments, greenmail, and other taxes.

Contact Sherayzen Law Office for Tax Planning Advice

If you need a tax advice regarding structuring your business transactions in a tax-responsible way or if you need an advice regarding deductibility of your taxes, contact Sherayzen Law Office. Our experienced tax firm will analyze your situation and propose various tax plans that will strive to reduce the risk of unfavorable treatment of your business transactions under the IRC.

Tax Consequences of Converting a Rental Property into a Primary Residence

Do you own a residential rental property that you plan to convert into your primary residence? Are you wondering if by doing so, you could still qualify for the capital gains exclusion on sales of a primary residence, when you do eventually sell? This article will examine these questions, and will explain some of the basic tax rules involved in turning a rental property into a primary residence.

The Capital Gains Exclusion for Sale of a Primary Residence- General Rules

In general, under Internal Revenue Code (IRC) section 121, taxpayers who reside in a primary residence, and who have both owned and lived (or used as a primary residence) in a home for at least two years within a five year period may qualify for the full capital gains exclusion of $500,000 on a joint filed tax return ($250,000 per spouse). However, taxpayers must not have already claimed this exemption within the past two years. Typically, each spouse of a married couple must meet both requirements in order to get the full exclusion. Certain exceptions may be available if the requirements are not met, depending upon the taxpayer’s circumstances. You will need to consult a tax attorney on this issue.

In converting a residential rental property into a primary residence, it should be noted that any depreciation taken while the property was a rental will not qualify for the capital gains exclusion, and will instead be subject to depreciation recapture. Depreciation deducted before May 6, 1997 will reduce the adjusted basis of a rental property, whereas depreciation deducted after that date will be taxed as a capital gain.

Non-qualified use of a Rental Property

In 2008, Congress amended IRC section 121, with the Housing and Economic Recovery Act, to add a limitation of the capital gains exclusion due to “nonqualified” use of a converted rental-to-primary residence. “Qualified” use is defined as any use of the property as a primary residence. “Non-qualified” use is defined as any use of the property other than as a primary residence, such as as a second home, a vacation property, a rental or investment property, or use of the property in a trade or business.

In general, the effect of the change is to limit the amount of capital gains exclusion to an allocation formula dependent upon non-qualified and qualified use of the property. For example, if the property is held for ten years and then sold, and for six of those years it was used as non-qualifying property, then 6/10 of the capital gain, would not be excluded. However, subject to certain exceptions, non-qualified use prior to January 1, 2009 will be ignored for purposes of the section

Contact Sherayzen Law Office For Tax Planning With Respect to Rental-Primary Residence Tax Planning

Taking advantage of the IRC section 121 capital gains exclusion may require detailed knowledge of the relevant tax rules and careful tax planning. Obviously, this article only provides some general background information for education purposes and should NOT be relied upon as a legal advice. Rather, you should contact Sherayzen Law Office to set up a consultation to discuss your particular fact situation. Our experienced tax firm will help you determine whether you may be able to take advantage of the IRC section 121 and how to do it.

Tax Return Extension Deadline for Most Filers: October 17, 2011 and Some Exceptions

October 17, 2011 is the deadline for most of those individual taxpayers who filed Form 4868 to request a six-month extension on filing of their tax returns. Traditionally, October 15 would have been the deadline, but it falls on Saturday this year. Therefore, the IRS extended the deadline until October 17, 2011.

Note that this deadline of October 17, 2011, includes U.S. taxpayers living abroad, even though their tax filing deadline is automatically extended to June 15. It is also important to emphasize that the extension to file your federal tax return does not in any way affect the obligation to file the FBARs by June 30, 2011.

Some taxpayers, however, are not subject to October 17, 2011 deadline this year. The two most prominent exceptions are qualified military personnel and victims of Hurricane Irene. Victims of Hurricane Irene will have until October 31, 2011 to file their tax returns. The new deadline primarily concerns residents of certain counties in Connecticut, Massachusetts, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Texas, and Vermont.

It is important to emphasize that an extension of time to file is not equivalent to an extension of time to pay. It is generally true that, under the relevant Treasury regulations and IRS Notice 93-22, individual taxpayers still can file a valid Form 4868 and obtain an automatic extension without paying the properly estimated tax in full – this means, of course, that no late filing penalty is likely to be assessed. However, the taxpayers will still owe interest on any past due tax amount and may be subject to a late payment penalty if payment is not made by the regular due date of the return.

Application Process for Voluntary Classification Settlement Program

As was discussed in an earlier article, the IRS announced a new Voluntary Classification Settlement Program that offers concrete benefits to participating employers. Among the chief benefits are substantially lower payment by employers of the potentially overdue taxes (without any interests and penalties) and a relatively simple way of resolving this potentially grave problem. Additional benefits also include limited audit protection.

Eligible taxpayers who wish to participate in the VCSP must submit an application for participation in the program. Along with the application, the employer should provide to the IRS the name of its tax attorney (or an authorized representative) with a valid Power of Attorney (Form 2848). The IRS will contact the attorney to complete the process once it has reviewed the application and verified the taxpayer’s eligibility. Taxpayers whose application has been accepted will enter into a closing agreement with the IRS to finalize the terms of the VCSP and will simultaneously make full and complete payment of any amount due under the closing agreement.

It is important to emphasize that the IRS retains discretion whether to accept a taxpayer’s application for the VCSP. This is why it is important for the taxpayer to retain a competent tax attorney to represent him, even if this is an out-of-state attorney.

Contact Sherayzen Law Office for VCSP Representation

If you wish to participate in the VCSP, you should contact Sherayzen Law Office immediately. Our experienced tax firm will guide you through the entire process of Voluntary Classification Settlement Program and strive to achieve the most satisfactory and efficient resolution of your case.

Tax Attorney Minneapolis | Keeping Tax Records After Filing Your Tax Return

Once in a while, I get a question from my clients on how long and what type of records they need to keep after they file their tax returns.  Generally, you should keep any and all documents that may have an impact on your federal tax return. For example, it is a good idea to keep bills, credit card and other receipts, invoices, mileage logs, canceled, imaged or substitute checks, proofs of payment, and any other records to support deductions or credits you claim on your return.

If you are self-employed, you are probably likely to keep a much larger pile of documents than other individual clients.  The documents should generally include all revenue records, expense records, depreciation records, and so on.  You should consult a tax professional on what type of records you should keep and how long.

Most individual taxpayers will need to keep their tax records for at least three years.  Some documents –  such as those related to a home purchase or sale, stock transactions, business property records – should be preserved for a longer period of time.

Generally, I advise my clients to err on the side of keeping the documents.

If you have any questions on whether you should keep a given documents, you should consult your accountant or a tax attorney.