Amending Tax Returns

Whether you need to amend your previously-filed tax return depends on your particular situation. In some situations, such as simple math errors, the IRS will correct the return for you. In other situations, however, you should file an amended tax return. The most common situations occur when you need to change your: filing status, dependents, income, deductions and credits.

If you are eligible to claim the first-time homebuyer credit for a qualified 2010 home purchase, you may wish to elect to amend your 2009 return in order to claim the credit this year without waiting for the next year to file the 2010 tax return.

You should use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to correct a previously filed Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. Be sure to check the box for the year of the return you are amending on the Form 1040X, Line B, or write in the year if you are amending a return filed in year prior to those listed on the form. If you are amending more than one tax return, you will need to prepare a 1040X for each return If the changes involve other schedules or forms, attach them to the Form 1040X.

If you are filing to claim an additional refund, you should wait until you have received your original refund before filing Form 1040X. However, if you owe additional tax for 2009, the opposite is true – you should file Form 1040X and pay the tax as soon as possible to limit interest and penalty charges. Interest is charged on any tax not paid by the due date of the original return, without regard to extensions.

Whether you are able to claim a refund will depend on the applicable statute of limitations, but generally, you have three years from the date you filed your original return or two years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

Sherayzen Law Office can help you determine whether you need to amend your tax return and help you prepare Form 1040X with all attachments.

Call Sherayzen Law Office to discuss your tax situation with a tax attorney!