Non-recognition Transactions Involving Foreign Corporations: Top Three Reporting Requirements

When we are talking about nonrecognition transactions, we generally mean mergers, spinoffs, and contributions of capital. When such transactions involve foreign corporations, U.S. tax laws impose a number of reporting requirements.

In this brief essay, I will generally discuss the top three reporting requirements for U.S. persons who are involved in nonrecognition transactions involving foreign corporations.

First, IRC Section 6038B and corresponding IRS regulations require that certain information be reported to the IRS on Form 926 for outbound transfers. This means that Form 926 may be required where a U.S. person transfers (or is deemed to transfer) property, including cash, to a foreign corporations. In some case, a similar requirement applies when a foreign corporation is transferred in a IRC Section 355 transaction, such as a spinoff, to certain other foreign or domestic persons (there are also special rules involving transfers to foreign partnerships). Also, keep in mind that a transfer of intangible property to a foreign corporation may also result in additional filing requirements. Other transfers, such as indirect stock transfer, may create a deemed transfer to a foreign corporation.

The second group of requirements is centered around the tax-free transfer of the stock of a domestic corporation to a foreign corporation. IRC Section 367(a) and attendant regulations required the transferred U.S. target to give notice.

The third group of requirements concerns foreign corporations that participate in certain tax-free inbound and foreign-to-foreign reorganization. Pursuant to IRC Section 367(b), the IRS regulations required notice to be filed with the IRS with respect to such reorganizations.

Contact Sherayzen Law Office For Legal Advice Regarding Non-Recognition Transactions Involving Foreign Corporations

This brief essay only provides some of the contours of the reporting requirements regarding non-recognitions transactions involving foreign corporations; it should not be relied upon in determining your IRS reporting requirements.

Rather, if you have any questions with respect to your reporting requirements involving such transactions with respect to foreign corporations, you should contact Sherayzen Law Office. Our experienced international tax firm will assist you in identifying your IRS reporting requirements and help you comply with them.