Tax Lawyers Minneapolis | 7 Reasons To File Tax Return Even if You Do Not Have to Do It

In some case, you may want to file a tax return even though you do not have to. Here are the top seven reasons for this course of action for the tax year 2010.

1. Tax Refund. If federal income tax was withheld from your paycheck, you made estimated tax payments, or had a prior year overpayment applied to this year’s tax, you may be entitled to a tax refund. You will only be able to get it if you file a tax return.

2. Making Work Pay Tax Credit. You may be able to take this credit if you had earned income from work. The maximum credit for a married couple filing a joint return is $800 and $400 for other taxpayers.

3. Earned Income Tax Credit (“EITC”). You may qualify for EITC if you worked, but did not earn a lot of money. Remember, EITC is a refundable tax credit; this means you could qualify for a tax refund.

4. Additional Child Tax Credit. This is also a refundable tax credit. It may be available to you if you have at least one qualifying child and you did not get the full amount of the Child Tax Credit.

5. American Opportunity Tax Credit. The maximum credit per student is $2,500 and the first four years of post-secondary education qualify.

6. First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit. In order too qualify for the credit, you must have bought – or entered into a binding contract to buy – a principal residence located in the United States on or before April 30, 2010. If you entered into a binding contract by April 30, 2010, you must have closed on the home on or before September 30, 2010. The credit is a maximum of $8,000 or $4,000 if your filing status is married filing separately. If you bought a home as your principle residence in 2010, you may be able to qualify and claim the credit even if you already owned a home. In this case, the maximum credit for long-time residents is $6,500, or $3,250 if your filing status is married filing separately.

7. Health Coverage Tax Credit. Certain individuals, who are receiving Trade Adjustment Assistance, Reemployment Trade Adjustment Assistance, or pension benefit payments from the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, may be eligible for a Health Coverage Tax Credit. The credit is worth 80% of monthly health insurance premiums when you file your 2010 tax return.

If you have questions with respect to whether you should file your tax return, contact Sherayzen Law Office NOW and discuss your case with an experienced Minneapolis tax attorney!