Tax Attorney St Paul | Who Must Wait to File 2010 Tax Return

While for most taxpayers, the 2011 tax filing season starts on schedule. Due to tax law changes enacted by Congress in December, however, some taxpayers need to wait until mid – to late February of 2011 to file their 2010 tax returns in order to give the IRS time to reprogram its processing systems. This is mostly due to the renewal of the three tax provisions that expired at the end of 2009 and were renewed by the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act Of 2010 on December 17, 2010.

The IRS will announce a specific date in the near future when it can start processing tax returns impacted by the recent tax law changes. Meanwhile, the affected taxpayers should not submit their returns until IRS systems are ready to process the new tax law changes; however, the affected taxpayers can start working on their tax returns. For taxpayers who must wait before filing, the delay affects both paper filers and electronic filers.

The most common types of taxpayers who may need to wait to file their tax returns include:

1. Taxpayers Claiming Itemized Deductions on Schedule A

Due to the tax law changes, anyone who itemizes and files a Schedule A will need to wait to file until mid- to late February. Itemized deductions include mortgage interest, charitable deductions, medical and dental expenses as well as state and local taxes. In addition, itemized deductions include the state and local general sales tax deduction that was also extended and which primarily benefits people living in areas without state and local income taxes.

2. Taxpayers Claiming the Higher Education Tuition and Fees Deduction

This is primarily concerns those taxpayers who claim their deduction on Form 8917. The deduction, which covers up to $4,000 of tuition and fees paid to a post-secondary institution, can be claimed by parents and students.

Note, however, that this delay does not concern those taxpayers who claim other education credits, including the American Opportunity Tax Credit extended last month and the Lifetime Learning Credit.

3. Taxpayers Claiming the Educator Expense Deduction

This deduction is for kindergarten through grade 12 educators with out-of-pocket classroom expenses of up to $250. The educator expense deduction is claimed on Form 1040, Line 23 and Form 1040A, Line 16.

Sherayzen Law Office can help you deal with and take advantage of the recent tax law changes. Call or e-mail Sherayzen Law Office to discuss your case with an experienced St Paul tax attorney!